Non-Academic Careers for PhDs & Postdocs
Are you considering a career outside of academia? As a STEM Ph.D. or postdoc, finding non-academic career opportunities has always been a challenge. Despite being highly skilled, the path you need to undertake in order to bring your research to market or work in industry is daunting.
On Thursday, November 23rd, District 3 Innovation Centre will be giving a workshop to help you as a Ph.D., postdoc or researcher to explore alternative career paths and take advantage of the various entrepreneurial and funding opportunities provided by government and supporting institutions. You’ll learn first-hand from fellow scientists and their experience in successfully venturing outside of academia.
We will be joined by our valued partners, the Chief Scientist of Québec, Rémi Quirion, The Fonds de recherche du Québec (FRQ), MITACS, Aligo, and Robic, who will explain the entrepreneurial and financing programs available, and how to partner with industry leaders to commercialize academic research.
- 1:30-2:00 PM: Doors Open & Registration
- 2:00-2:15 PM: Opening Remarks by Xavier-Henri Hervé, Founder & Executive Director at Concordia’s District 3 Innovation Centre
- 2:15-2:30 PM: Discovering the Entrepreneurial Path and Residency Program with District 3
- 2:30-2:45 PM: Financing Programs and Partnering with Industry with FRQ
- 2:45-3:00 PM: Funding Opportunities and Programs with MITACS
- 3:00-3:15 PM: Coffee Break
- 3:15-3:30 PM: Commercializing Your Research, Financing, and Creating Spin-off Companies with Aligo
- 3:30-3:45 PM: Filing Patents, Intellectual Property, and the Licensing Process with Robic
- 3:45-4:00 PM: Concluding Remarks: Rémi Quirion, Chief Scientist of Québec
- 4:00-4:30 PM: Networking